Kit: Roden 1/48 401 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II
Price: £20.69 available from Kingkit (subject to availability)
Decals: Seven Options
Notes: Montex Maxi Mask 48031 used.
This kit represents one of three 1/48 scale Gloster Gladiator’s that Roden offer. There are seven decal options to choose from. Since I had recently written an article on The Swedish volunteer unit, Flygflottilj 19 that fought in Northern Finland during the Winter War of 1939-1940, I elected to model option VII, Gloster Gladiator J-8A , “Yellow F”/284 of Flygflottilj F 19 (Royal Swedish Air Force), March 1940.
The history of Flygflottilj F 19, can be read on this website by clicking on this
link: Flygflottilj F 19, Finland’s Swedish Defenders.
The kit is identical to the Norwegian Gloster Gladiator that is featured on this site, with the exception of an additional sprue that contains skis for winter conditions and an alternative radio mast.
For an in-depth build review of the Roden 1/48 Gloster Gladiator, please click the following link: Roden 1:48 Gloster Gladiator Mk.I, Norwegian Jagevingen Fighter Flight.
Like the Norwegian example, this kit was also built using the wooden two-bladed propeller; however, a three bladed propeller is included to enable the modeler to build later examples.
The only other difference apart from the addition of the ski sprue are the decal options these are:
- Gloster Gladiator Mk.II, B/N5585, No.247 Sqn RAF, Roborough, August 1940, flown by PO N.I.C. Francis.
- Gloster Gladiator Mk.II, HE-K/Serial unknown, No.263 Sqn RAF, Battle of Norway, spring 1940.
- Gloster Gladiator Mk.II, GL-255 of LLv 26, Finnish Air Force, Winter War, Finland, Mensunkangas, flown by Kersantti (Sergeant) Oiva Tuominen (44 victories in total, 6.5 on the Gladiator), February 1940.
- Gloster Gladiator Mk.II, GL-269 of 1/LLv 26, Finnish Air Force, Winter War, Finland, Utti, flown by Kapteeni Paavo Berg (5 victories), February 1940.
- Gloster Gladiator J-8A, “Yellow A”/271 of Flygflottilj F 19 (Royal Swedish Air Force), Winter War, Finland, Pilot unknown, winter 1940.
- Gloster Gladiator J-8A, “Yellow F”/284 of Flygflottilj F 19 (Royal Swedish Air Force), Winter War, Finland, Lake Kemi, flown by Fänrik (2nd Lieutenant) FHI Lacobi, January 1940.
- Gloster Gladiator J-8A, “Yellow F”/284 of Flygflottilj F 19 (Royal Swedish Air Force), March 1940.
Despite this kit being identical to the Roden Norwegian Gloster Gladiator Mk.II (with the exception of the skis), I found the build challenging. For reasons that only modelers can understand, one kit will go together like a dream without any difficulties at all and another will prove problematic to say the least. The most trying of assembly processes proved to be the construction of the wing struts and the upper-wing. Perhaps the ease of construction of my Norwegian Gladiator made me overconfident. Needless to say, I shall be taking greater care in future.
Despite the self-imposed draw-backs, I was pleased with the result and no Winter War collection would be complete without a Flygflottilj F 19 Gloster Gladiator Mk.II.
- Gloster Gladiator in Detail by Magnus Fridsell. IPMS Stockholm, http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1999/05/stuff_eng_detail_gladiator.htm
- Finnish Aces of World War 2, Kari Stenman and Kalevi Keskinen, Osprey Aircraft of the Aces 23, first published 1998, 5th edition 2008.
- Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia 23, SOTAMAALAUS/WARPAINT, Kalevi Keskinen and Kari Stenman, Kari Stenman Publishing, http://www.kolumbus.fi/kari.stenman/ 2003.
- Finland’s war of choice, the troubled German-Finnish coalition in World War II, Henrik O. Lunde, Casemate Philadelphia & Oxford Publishing, copyright 2011.